The road ahead
Review of progress
As this report goes to print, the next 12 months look rather different to what we might have expected. However, as a company whose core business is about building families and helping people live better lives, we understand what it means to stay focused on the future, whilst being mindful of the present.
At times of critical uncertainty and disruption, businesses must focus on key elements of operational continuity: safety, compliance and cost- control. It is also vital that we remain steadfast to the values and principles of how we do business, which is underlined by our ongoing commitment to the UN Global Compact and to the Ferring Philosophy.
Our commitment to our sustainability strategy remains the same: making a difference to people’s People health and quality of life, today and tomorrow. The coming year will be guided by upholding our commitment to our core values and adapting to uncertainty and change.
In the year ahead, we commit to delivering progress on Purpose, People and Planet as follows:
- Ensure continuity of supply of our treatments to doctors and patients around the world. This means avoiding disruption to key supply chains wherever possible.
- Invest in frontline research. Ferring will fund exploratory, basic and clinical research grants to collect data and expand knowledge on the effects of COVID-19 on reproduction, pregnancy and neonatal health.
- Progress on existing global initiatives such as heat-stable carbetocin in priority markets, subject to the constraints and uncertainties imposed by COVID-19.
- Support our employees through this challenging time by adopting new ways of working, enabling a gradual return to the office; a continued focus on protecting the health and safety of our employees and their families, whilst protecting our manufacturing capabilities.
- Develop Ferring Values training with an innovative, integrated training programme for new and existing employees. This will encompass the Ferring Philosophy, our Code of Conduct, our Leadership Principles and Sustainability.
- Encourage community support and embed formal processes and guidelines for employees wishing to volunteer for causes close to their communities; continue developing plans for a partnership on maternal health in our Headquarters in Switzerland.
- Build aspirational 2030 goals for GHG reduction, use of renewable energy, waste and water – and develop road maps for each goal.
- Expand initiatives to reduce other indirect emissions such as employee and business travel (Scope 3 GHG emissions).
- Encourage innovation and action for country-level commitments to preserve the planet.
- Deepen cross-functional collaboration and ownership across the business.
Building on 2019
As our President, Per Falk, stated at the beginning of this report: this is the decade that must make a difference. We commit to playing our part by developing an ambitious and achievable set of 2030 goals to guide us on that path, and we invite you to join us in this vital and exciting journey. Please visit www.ferringsustainability.com for further information.
We continue to be proud of the energy, innovation and dedication demonstrated by our community at Ferring. Employees from across the globe and from all sectors of the business have embraced opportunities to make a difference. We look forward to harnessing this passion as we set ourselves ambitious and important goals for the future.Jade L. Shields Snr
Vice President, Values and Learning