Summary of our progress
High-level progress report (UNGC)
This summary serves as a high-level report on our annual Communication on Progress (CoP) to the United Nations (UN) Global Compact, to which we remain committed as a Participant.
The UN Global Compact is the world’s leading multi-stakeholder initiative for responsible businesses. Through its Ten Principles across human rights, labour, environment and anti-corruption, it acts as a guiding force to businesses around the world. It also acts as our means of engagement with the UN Global Goals – a blueprint for a better world, on everything from climate change to maternal and child health.
Summary of key initiatives
Over the past year, we have made substantive progress on key areas in our core business.
- Our heat-stable formulation of carbetocin for the prevention of postpartum haemorrhage (PPH) has been added to the WHO’s Essential Medicines List. We are now focused on developing the right partnerships to introduce the treatment into a number of key affected pilot countries. This directly supports the third UN Global Goal to “Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages”.
- We hosted a successful Patient Advisory Board in the US as part of our renewed strategy on Patient-Centricity, putting patients at the centre of how we develop healthcare solutions.
- We continue to improve our direct environmental impacts and are in the process of evaluating our wider impacts in the value chain – involving key functions and taking a more integrated approach.
- We have made progress in key areas such as carbon, water and waste as well as on health and safety.
- The roll-out of our Leadership Principles which include Accountability, Transparency and Collaboration have helped deliver real improvements in our occupational accident rates.
- We have re-designed our sustainability strategy to focus on three key pillars: Purpose, People and Planet, in order to effectively integrate our efforts into the business and ensure close alignment to our Mission and the Ferring Philosophy.
- Measuring our progress; we are developing a new set of high-level internal key performance indicators (KPIs) to support this new strategy, and will continue to work across the organisation to embed and report effectively on our KPIs
Our Sustainability vision encompasses the full range of economic, social and environmental impacts, also referred to as the triple bottom line. Our integrated approach has been defined within the three pillars of Purpose, People and Planet, with our ambitions aligned to the business strategy, framed by the goals of the United Nations Global Compact (UNGC) and guided by the Ferring Philosophy.